Monday, July 21

What a day!!! What a day!!!!

This morning Jason and I finally got a chance to sit down and talk about school for Tristan. To make a long story short, we have decided to enroll him in public school and see how he does and if necessary we will pull him out of public school and put him in private kindergarten at that time. I truly think that Tristan will do well, as he is so smart and loves to interact with others. Please pray that he gets a great teacher who will be exactly what he needs for kindergarten.

Jason and the 2 little ones left for work about 9:30 or so. Adreyn got to stay home with me while I slept. She loves days like this because she can watch "her" shows on TV, play on the computer, and get some alone time. Anyway, before I went to bed we decided that she would have EasyMac for lunch. The directions are on the package and everything is done in the microwave--easy,cheesy right? Well, I got woken up by Adreyn screaming at 12:00 as she ran into my room. She was also choking and coughing. Apparently somehow instead of 3 minutes 30 seconds the microwave got set for approximately 30 minutes (our microwave has done this to me before too--it adds an extra 0 if you push the button for too long) Needless to say, our entire house was filled with the horrible, pungent, breath-stealing black smoke belching out of the microwave. The macaroni was completely black and scorched and the little "plastic" cup that it was in had melted flat! So, I got Adreyn something to drink--the poor kid had opened up the microwave and had gotten a face full of that awful smoke. Then we quickly opened all the doors and windows (poor Molly, that dog was so confused--she couldn't figure out if she should be inside or outside)

Once the smoke started clearing out we decided to try to make something else for lunch. Adreyn decided on Chicken nuggest and fries. We got everything out of the freezer and put them on the cookie sheet, turned on the oven and put them in the oven. I set the timer, told Adreyn to get me when it beeped and went back to bed to read for a while. About 5 minutes later this really loud buzzing sound started. Adreyn shrieked again and we met in the hallway. I opened up the oven door and noticed that the lower coil in the oven was bright white and sparking. I called Jason (I didn't know what to do with this one--I was quickly forming the opinion that for some reason my house decided it wanted to catch on fire today) and asked what to do. Anyway, managed to figure out which fuse went to the oven and turned off the fuse (luckily I know how to do that :-)) Jason decided to come home from work early (I think he thought if he didn't come home the house would be in flames by the time he got home in the evening) The coil dripped molten metal onto the base of the stove and damaged the base of the stove, SOOOO we went to lowes tonight and bought a new stove!

We got home from Lowes, Jason was getting everything ready to get the old stove outside and the new stove inside and asked Adreyn to close the garage door to the house. Adreyn misunderstood him and closed the automatic garage door. She failed to notice that Daddy had backed his car up and the garage door closed on his car--she didn't know why it wouldn't close so kept trying to get it closed and jammed the door to the point where it wouldn't move any more. Happily, the car didn't sustain any damage and Jason got the garage door to work again.

So, right now, the kids are asleep, the new stove is hooked up and working, the house still smells like burnt mac and cheese and metal, and we are ready to have this day be over. On the up side--no one got hurt, we have a new stove, the car isn't damaged, and the automatic garage door still works.

Hopefully you had a better Monday than we did :-) and hopefully our Tuesday doesn't have all the issues that our Monday had.


grammynurse said...

Hopefully you will not bring THIS over on Wed. What a day!! You could have called Dad He was probably closer than Jay. I'm soooo glad no one was hurt. Did you get asmooth to stove ( can't think of what it is called)?
Wake up to a better day Tuesday!

Tamra said...

hope your day is better. I know how awful that burnt plastic smoke of death smell is. hope it clears out soon. sleep well!!

wanissa said...

can i just say i am lauging at your day. i am glad that no one got hurt tho days like that just make you want to go to sleep fast and start fresh the next day.