Wednesday, April 6

New Job!

I have a NEW JOB!!!!  NEW JOB!!!!  

Well, I haven't been posting lately because certain "stuff" has been going on here and since my blog address is on Facebook I didn't want to accidentally "jump the gun" until I was sure.

So, anyway, just under a month ago a friend that used to work with me messaged me on Facebook and told me about a position that had opened up at her new job.  The position was for the NICU/Nursery manager.  I have appplied for manager positions 4 times in the last 6 year (all for the hospital system that I currently work for) and essentially got ignored each time.  I was getting pretty frustrated. 

I decided to talk to Jason about this opportunity and took a couple of days to think about it and then decided to apply.  Of course, after I made my decision I went to apply online the and the job was no longer posted as available.  My heart dropped.  I decided to go ahead and call the Director of Women's Services and find out if the position had been filled.  Happily it hadn't been filled and I set an interview for Monday (this was Friday).  I worked all weekend and hurried home from work Monday morning, fixed my makeup and went off to my interview.  I wasn't sure how well the interview went because I was pretty sleepy and didn't feel like I was able to answer some the questions the way I wanted to.  I didn't hear anything for a week, then emailed the director and quickly set up an interview with the staff nurses for Thursday.  The staff interview went really well and I also got to meet the primary neonatologist. (I actually enjoyed these interviews which is unusual for me...I'm shy usually).  I was offered the job on the next Thursday but I asked them to review the pay they were offering because it was only $0.02 more per hour than I am currently making. They called back the next day and offered $2.00 more per hour and I happily took the job!  My first day there will be April 18th!

I'm very proud of myself for getting this job because I ended up doing several things that I usually don't ever do
1. Call someone I don't know personally (I prefer email or texting)
2. Stay on top of stuff and make sure I get a response
3.  Ask for more money
4.  Resigned my job without making lots of apologies :-)

This job is gonna be a lot of work.  The unit is planning to expand and it will be my job to make it happen.  I'm looking forward to the work though.  Plus I'll get to work days now instead of nights.  It will be a big change for me...I've worked nights for most of the last 16 years.  I'm looking forward to having more time with the family.

1 comments:

grammynurse said...

YaY We're all excited.